According to Experian, the average wedding now costs a whopping £20,083. And it's not just the financial cost of the big day which can be draining. On average, us Brits spend a grand total of 36 days (or 8640 hours) planning our dream weddings – a factor which can seriously stress out even the most relaxed brides and grooms to be.
As part of our mission to make wedding planning as easy as possible, we've scoured the web for the best, and most economically friendly hacks to make your wedding reception amazing.
With the perfect venue as your backdrop, these industry-approved tips will add the special finishing touches you deserve...and you'll even save some money for that honeymoon you've been dreaming of.
1. Use old wine bottles for table numbers
After weeks of planning, you'll probably have a fair few empty bottles hanging around – so you may as well put them to good use.
These centrepieces are the perfect match for the 1950s Hitchcockian style of The Pearson Room.
2. Utilise a wooden crate to schedule the day
It's the ideal finishing touch for a contemporary blank canvas venue – just like Kachette.
3. Craft your own games with some old bottles and glitter
This DIY game will keep both children and adults entertained, and can be used time and time again.
4. Opt for a naked cake
The naked wedding cake may look incredibly chic, but it's also far more economical than traditional iced styles.
If you've opted for a contemporary and elegant venue (like Town Hall Hotel), this fashion-pack favourite is a great choice.
5. Or ditch the cake altogether, and have a doughnut stack
If you want your 'cake' to match a more unconventional venue, opt for something a little different, like doughnuts.
6. Decorate your tables with mini packets of Sweets
Edible decorations are the best kind of decorations – what's not to love?
7. Bake these really simple button cookies
They look complicated, but they're actually really simple. Find out how to make them here.
8. Instead of buying a guestbook, make a 'message in a bottle' memory bank
Just find an old bottle, some paper, and a pen. It really is that simple, and will make unforgettable venues like Porchester hall even more memorable.
9. Use leaves to make confetti
This is probably the cheapest wedding hack in the entire world. For autumn weddings, it's a no-brainer.
10. Ditch the photographer, and set up a selfie station
You don't need to hire an expensive photo booth for your guests to take fun photos. Just provide a few novelty props, some selfie sticks, and let everyone else do all of the hard work for you.
11. And document the whole day on social media
Why wouldn't you?
12. Melt some candles in bottles for a refined centrepiece
If you've chosen a venue of grand proportions, this centrepiece will add a touch of additional class.
13. In need of some night time entertainment?
If you've opted for a venue with a large dance floor (like Chapel Bar), give your guests glow sticks to brighten up the night.
14. Ditch the expensive gift bags for something more sentimental
Seeds are an economical yet thoughtful little something for guests to take home and remember your big day. If you're hosting your reception in an idyllic garden setting, this is the ideal gift.
15. Want to save on expensive cake costs? Make your guests pimp their own cupcakes
16. Fill mason jars with LED fairy lights for a magical touch
This simple trick will add a gorgeous finish to an elegant Georgian townhouse setting – just like that at 41 Portland Place.
17. Use Hire Space!
And because the HS venue experts have great relationships with all of the site's 4,000+ venues, they'll make sure to get you the best possible deal for your special day.
18. Use a date jar so guests can share their favourite date ideas
All you need is a mason jar, a marker pen, and some clean lolly sticks. It's a super cute idea for getting your guests involved, and it'll keep you inspired for months (or years) to come.
19. Save on designer shoes
Get your significant other to write a thoughtful message on the bottom. They'll be far more sentimental than an expensive designer pair, and you can keep them forever.